Friday, January 09, 2009

Dying newspapers, including Seattle


Last semester, I wrote my final paper on the "Future of Journalism" about the problems and challenges facing American newspapers.

Then just tonight I learned that the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, the paper where I worked in the late 80s before my first son was born, is up for sale. Read more here. Given the economy, this is most likely the death knell. Reading the announcement was like reading an obituary for an old friend.

The P-I started in 1863, before my home state of Washington became a state. That's old. The P-I is also famous for the iconic globe that slowly turns above the building off Elliot Bay in Seattle. (This just in: "Wristbandfactory.com Bids on Seattle P-I Newspaper Globe".)

Now, let me say that I did not agree with reporters and cartoonists who pushed their agendas (I never do), but I cared for these people as my co-workers and, well, because they're people. And like the rest of us, they have children, spouses, mortgages, dreams and desires--so my heart goes out to them. Journalism is a tough job, but life is tougher when you don't have any job.

So my liberal friends at the P-I, you may have objected to prayer in schools, hated Bush, and laughed at conservatives, but in the face of this announcement over the P-I's tenuous future, I am praying for you and your families during this very difficult time.

P.S. - You can follow the P-I on Twitter: http://twitter.com/seattlepi. (Sadly, they haven't mentioned a peep about Hearst's decision to put them up for sale. Sorry, pun intended.)

No comments: